Bring the warmth and coziness of autumn to your table with this simple, delicious baked apple recipe. Added sweetness comes from date syrup and there’s a superfood boost from goji berries and walnuts.
These luscious baked apples taste like apple pie, but aren’t bogged down with added sugar, flour, and fat. Another bonus is how great your house will smell while they’re baking. Enjoy!
Baked Autumn Apples With Date Syrup
- 4 large baking apples, washed and cored
- 3 tbsp goji berries soaked in warm water for 15 minutes and then drained
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
- 1 tbsp date syrup
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Place the goji berries in a food processor and add the walnuts, Date Syrup, and cinnamon; then pulse until well mixed. Set aside.
- Peel the top third of each apple. Rub the exposed part of the apple with lemon juice to prevent discoloration.
- Stuff about 2 tablespoons of the goji mixture into the center of each apple and rearrange the apples upright in a small, shallow baking dish.
- Pour 1/2 cup of water around the apples.
- Cover and bake until tender, about 1 hour. Serve warm.
Reprinted with permission. Dr. Michael Greger & Robin Robertson from The How Not to Diet Cookbook