Snack time doesn’t have to be unhealthy. At Ethos we live on snacks and have some easy, delicious plant-based recommendations.
Deskside dining is the new norm in the age of Zoom calls. And while nothing can replace a healthy meal prepared from fresh ingredients, sometimes the moment calls for a quick snack. Or a day full of them! But don’t reach for the chips just yet!
Healthy, sustainable snacking
The best way to snack healthy and sustainably is to eat fresh, whole foods grown locally. But munching on carrots only gets you so far. There are some workarounds, though:
- A handful of nuts is a quick and easy snack that’s high in healthy fats and fiber. Seeds are an excellent choice, too. Go for unsalted. Try pumpkin seeds for a high-protein, omega-rich snack.
- Steam up batches of broccoli or cauliflower over the weekend and drizzle with some olive oil, red chili flakes, and a bit of sea salt for a healthy snack.
- Try keeping cut veggies in your fridge at all times. Keep cut carrots and celery submerged in water so they stay crunchy. Smash up an avocado or have hummus on hand for your veggie spears.
- Keep fresh fruit handy for a healthy snack on its own or top with plant-based yogurt and a bit of granola.
- Fill dates or figs with tahini, almond butter, or peanut butter for a filling quick snack.
- Try some greens like Athletic Greens or Dayli’s green vitamins for a dose of nutrients and hydration to see if that gives you a boost.
- Don’t overdo them (it’s easy to!) because of the high sodium levels, but pickles are a filling because of the fiber. But typically, they are zero or very low calorie if you don’t want to spoil your next meal.
Best sustainable plant-based snacks
Still feeling snacky? It’s relatable. And there are plenty of healthier ways to munch. These plant-based snack picks are just the thing when a quick bite is all you have time for.
1. Sakara Metabolism Bar
Prefer snacks to meals? Like feeling full but not stuffed? Healthy snacking is key to keep the munching from tipping in the wrong direction.
Sakara products like their Beauty Chocolates, Metabolism Powder, Detox Drops, and the popular Metabolism Bars are such an easy way to snack healthily and sustainably. The bars are a great treat if you need help with focus to tackle the giant to-do list. The brand is committed to quality, sustainable, and plant-based ingredients and will keep you feeling great without the excess sugar.
2. Saffron Road Roasted Chickpeas
If you’re a fan of crunchy, salty snacks but try to stay away from potato chips, roasted chickpeas are the perfect alternative for that munchy, crunchy snack fix.
Chickpeas are known for their high protein content, so these are great for an afternoon pick-me-up. Try the sea salt and pepper seasoning on these from Saffron the next time you’re feeling snacky.
3. Grounded Foods Plant-Based Cheese
Snack smart and fancily with a little midday cheese plate? Yes, please. Grounded Foods makes some of the tastiest vegan cheese on the market, using hemp and cauliflower as the base. Pair this scrumptious cheese with fruit, crackers, preserves, and olives for a healthy, savory and tangy treat.
4. Veron French Macarons
There isn’t much better than a soft, delicate macaron. Until recently, it was pretty hard to replicate that light airy bite-sized meringue cookies without the egg whites. Thanks to advancements in the vegan food space, that is no longer the case.
These macarons from the vegan bakery, Veron, are just as delicious as you’d hope they’d be. They also ship!
5. Ithaca Hummus
There’s hummus, and then there’s Ithaca Hummus. And, there’s a difference.
“Taste hummus for the first time. Even if it’s your hundredth time,” the Ithaca website reads, and you’ll attest to that after the first bite. The creaminess is just right and the flavors can’t be beat. How do they do it? We don’t need to know. The secret is part of the allure.
Pro tip: keep jars of cut veggies in your fridge, and grab bell peppers or carrots instead of salty, oily chips and a scoopful of the Lemon Garlic. A protein-packed healthy plant-based snack, you can’t go wrong here!
6. Cocojune Yogurt
This tangy, creamy, thick plant-based yogurt is full of healthy probiotics—not sugar. Made from coconuts, the yogurt is perfectly balanced, all organic, and so flavor-filled. If you’ve not been a fan of a lot of plant-based yogurts because they can be a little thin and heavy on the sugar, Cocojune is just the thing. It tastes like a refreshing throwback to simpler times.
Top it with granola or fresh fruit or try one of the flavored varieties—they’re not overly sweet at all. The vanilla chamomile is divine. And, bonus, the brand is the first certified plastic neutral yogurt company in the U.S.
7. Lagusta’s Luscious Caramels, Chocolates, and Truffles
Okay so chocolates aren’t exactly healthy, or even snacks, really. But, there are exceptions to every rule. And when it comes to chocolates and caramels, no one does it better than Lagusta’s Luscious.
All of Lagusta’s treats are incredible (seriously, all), but the gooey chocolate-covered caramels are to-die-for. The company makes a number of unique flavors, including cardamom, strawberry-balsamic, thyme with preserved lemon. The tahini melts are also a must-try. Sometimes, the only snack you need is the one that fills your soul.