All granola is worthy granola, but make your own if you really want to experience the best. This crunchy coconut granola is easy to make and you won’t believe how delicious it tastes.
Homemade granola is way less expensive and more satisfying than the store-bought stuff. It lasts a while, unless you eat it like a maniac, and it’s got simpler ingredients.
I’m obsessed with this crunchy coconut granola; it’s so good, it even makes an appearance in a dessert (see hot tip). I love this recipe because you can mix it up by hand right on the baking sheet. Very little mess and no dishes to clean up! You can use either refined or virgin coconut oil, but the coconutty flavor of the virgin variety works well here.
Crunchy Coconut Granola
- 2 cups gluten-free rolled oats (not quick cooking)
- 2 cups large coconut flakes
- ½ cup pecans, coarsely chopped
- ¼ cup chia seeds
- ¼ cup golden flax meal
- ¼ cup coconut sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp sea salt
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- ½ cup maple syrup
- ⅓ cup melted coconut oil
- Preheat the oven to 325°F. Line a large baking sheet with a Silpat mat or parchment paper.
- Directly to the sheet, add the oats, coconut flakes, pecans, chia seeds, flax meal, coconut sugar, cinnamon, ginger, sea salt, and nutmeg. Gently mix this together with your hands to combine.
- Drizzle with the maple syrup and melted coconut oil. Mix thoroughly with your hands and spread into an even layer.
- Bake for 25 minutes. Toss and continue to bake for 10 to 15 minutes more, until golden. Let the granola cool completely on the baking sheet on a wire rack, then break it up and store in a jar or container for 3 to 4 weeks in a cool, dry place.
Related on Ethos:
Reprinted with permission from Hot for Food All Day, by Lauren Toyota. Ten Speed Press 2021. All rights reserved.