This clever twist on samosas uses rice paper filled with a spiced potato mixture, brushed with vegetable oil, and baked in the oven for crunch.
Samosas, the delicious spiced potato-filled Indian pockets are typically deep-fried. But this variation is baked, using crispy rice paper wrappers to give you that crunch without the extra oil. Filled with savory vegetables, these vegan samosas are a cinch to make. Serve with your favorite tamarind chutney or dipping sauce for an easy appetizer, side, or filling main.
Vegan Baked Vegetable Samosas In Crispy Rice Paper
- 2 large russet potatoes peeled and chopped into small chunks
- 1 large carrot peeled and chopped into small chunks
- ½ cup frozen peas
- 1 tsp vegetable oil plus 1 tbsp for brushing
- ½ medium white onion peeled and finely chopped
- 1 tsp medium curry powder
- ½ tsp ground garam masala
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- ¼ tsp ground ginger
- 8 rice wrappers
- In a large saucepan with enough water to cover, add potatoes and carrots. Bring to a boil and cook until tender, about 10–15 minutes. Set aside. In a small microwave-safe bowl, cook peas in microwave on high, about 3–4 minutes. Set aside.
- In a large frying pan, heat 1 teaspoon oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic and fry until translucent, about 10 minutes. Add curry powder, garam masala, coriander, and ginger and stir until onion mixture is fully coated. Stir in potatoes, carrots, and peas and crush slightly with a potato masher. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a wide bowl of warm water, carefully place a sheet of rice paper and submerge about 10 seconds to soften. Immediately remove from water and place on a flat work surface.
- Spoon about filling into bottom left quarter of semicircle. Fold rice paper over top, then side to create a triangle shape. Fold edges under and place on prepared baking sheet. Repeat with remaining ingredients to make eight filled samosas. Brush with remaining 1 tablespoon oil.
- Bake 25 minutes, turning halfway through cooking. Serve immediately.
Excerpted from The Everything Gluten-Free & Dairy-Free Baking Cookbook by Alice Wiggins. Copyright © 2021 by Simon & Schuster, Inc. Used by permission of the publisher. All rights reserved.