From the Dole Kitchen, a deliciously easy vegan chocolate-banana cream tart that fights food waste and stress.
Looking for a quick and easy way to use up bananas and prevent food waste? Celebrate Earth Month and Stress Awareness Month with Dole and the many benefits of and uses for bananas.
“Bananas are enjoyed by 90 percent of Americans—making them the most popular produce,” Melanie Marcus, RD, MA, Dole’s nutrition and health communications manager told Ethos via email.
“Bananas contain vitamin B6, which is involved in the creation of feel-good neurotransmitters, and research suggests that they can also reduce inflammation and oxidative stress levels,” she said. “Another study found that foods like bananas that contain prebiotics may also promote more restful sleep.”
This delicious recipe comes via “Healthier by Dole,” the produce giant’s ongoing monthly healthier recipe series. A fluffy and rich chocolate banana cream fills into a pistachio-date crust for a treat you’ll feel good about eating for so many reasons.
Vegan Chocolate-Banana Cream Tart
- Vegan nonstick cooking spray
- 1 cup pitted dates
- ½ cup dry roasted, unsalted pistachios
- ½ cup gluten-free old fashioned oats
- ¼ tsp salt
- 8 oz silken tofu (half a package), drained and coarsely chopped
- 3 ripe Dole bananas, peeled and coarsely chopped
- ½ cup vegan unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 tbsp powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp agar agar
- 3 tbsp vegan dark chocolate chips
- Spray a 9-inch pie plate lightly with nonstick cooking spray. Pulse dates, pistachios, oats and salt in a food processor until small crumbs form; press into bottom and up sides of prepared pie plate. Wipe out food processor bowl.
- Purée tofu, bananas, cocoa powder, sugar and vanilla extract in the food processor until smooth; transfer to a large bowl.
- Heat agar agar and ½ cup water to a simmer in a small saucepan over medium heat; simmer 3 minutes or until slightly thickened and agar agar is dissolved, whisking occasionally. Whisk agar agar mixture into tofu mixture; spread in prepared crust. Sprinkle tart with chocolate chips; freeze at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Cut tart into 8 slices.