Kale makes for a hardy base to this Caesar salad with roasted chickpeas and a creamy, tangy vegan dressing.
Will spicy chickpeas ever take the place of bacon? In this salad, the contrasting flavors (sweet and smoky) and textures (creamy and crunchy) make a very satisfying salad. Don’t dress the salad until you are ready to serve. The kale quickly absorbs the dressing and you want it to be crisp.
Serve on its own or alongside a warm bowl of soup.
Kale Caesar With Chickpeas
Creamy vegan kale Caesar salad with roasted chickpeas.
- 1 lb kale, sliced into very thin ribbon strips
- 1 19-oz can unsalted chickpeas, drained
- ⅓ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp sea salt
- ½ cup raw almonds, halved
- ½ cup raw sunflower seeds
- ½ cup raw pumpkin seeds
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 tbsp vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- ½ tsp minced garlic
- 3 tbsp vegan Parmesan or nutritional yeast
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C).
- If your kale has large leaves, place your knife against the stem and slice off the leaf on either side. Discard stems. Thinly slice the leaves. If kale leaves are small and the stem has not developed, trim the very end of the stem and thinly slice the rest. Rinse kale and store in a salad spinner.
- In a medium-size bowl, combine the chickpeas, oil, paprika, cumin, and sea salt. Spread out in a single layer on a rimmed baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Roast for 30 minutes, stirring once.
- Add the almonds, stir, and roast for another 8 to 10 minutes. Add the sunflower and pumpkin seeds. Roast for 5 more minutes, until brown and crisp.
- Remove from the oven and pour into a small bowl.
- In a medium-size bowl, combine the lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, garlic, and Parmesan. Whisk until combined. Continue whisking as you add the olive oil. Dressing can be made ahead of time and stored in a covered jar in the refrigerator for 1 week. Makes ¾ cup (180 mL).
- Place the kale leaves in a large bowl or platter. Add the roasted chickpea and nut mixture.
- Dress the salad 5 minutes before serving.
Reprinted with permission from The Fair Trade Ingredient Cookbook by Nettie Cronish (Whitecap Books, 2021)