Soup season gets an elevated spin on the classic corn chowder in this creamy plant-based version that leaves out the dairy but not the flavor.
This dairy-free chowder can be as thick and creamy as you like, depending on how much of the soup you puree. Don’t forget to put the Salt-Free Hot Sauce on the table for those who want to add a little heat.
Creamy Spiced Corn Chowder
- 1 1 yellow onion chopped
- 2 ribs celery, chopped
- 2 russet potatoes, diced
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- ½ tsp dried thyme
- ¼ tsp black pepper ground
- 4 cups Light Vegetable Broth* (or no-salt added vegetable broth)
- 1 lb fresh or thawed frozen corn kernels
- 2 tsp white miso paste
- 2 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tbsp fresh parsley minced
- Salt-Free Hot Sauce to taste
- Add the onion, celery, and potatoes. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until softened.
- Scoop 2 cups of the soup solids into a high-powered blender, add the miso paste, and blend until smooth.
- Stir the pureed mixture back into the soup. Add the lemon juice, then taste and adjust the seasonings, if needed.
- If you prefer a thicker chowder, puree another cup of the soup solids and add it back to the pot. Heat the soup until hot and serve sprinkled with parsley.
Reprinted with permission. Dr. Michael Greger & Robin Robertson from The How Not to Diet Cookbook