Are you an adventure-seeker? Does your wanderlust know no bounds? Then 2024 can be your year of adventure and exploration with these travel destinations off the beaten path.
Whether you seek the thrill of urban exploration, the tranquility of pristine beaches, or the adrenaline rush of exciting activities, we have compiled a list of must-visit 2024 travel destinations that will inspire your next great adventure.
Consider these destinations during your next trip planning. So, pack your bags and get ready to jet, set, and go!
Travelers going to Mongolia can spend as little as as $30 to $50 per day, including accommodation, meals, transportation, and sightseeing.
Mongolia topped Lonely Planet’s 2024 Travel Destination List and secured the top spot on Time Out’s list of underrated destinations. The unspoiled country has a rich history and culture well worth a visit. Enjoy the stunning scenery, including the Altai Mountains, the Gobi Desert, and Lake Khuvsgul.
Some of the reasons why this country must be on your travel list:
- The country is home to a nomadic culture preserved for centuries. You can experience this culture firsthand by visiting a traditional ger (yurt) or staying with a nomadic family.
- The scenery is breathtaking, and it is home to Asia’s largest desert, the Gobi Desert. Also, you will find a wide variety of wildlife, including Przewalski’s horses and wild camels.
- If you love adventure, the country offers camping, trekking, hiking, camel trekking, and horseback riding experiences. You can also enjoy white water rafting on Lake Hovsgol and Selenge River.
- Mongolia has a rich wildlife that will appeal to nature lovers. You can go on a wildlife safari to observe the animals in their natural habitat.
2. The Cook Islands
Travelers going to the Cook Islands should expect to spend several hundred dollars per day — but it is cheaper than other Pacific destinations like Hawaii, Fiji, and Tahiti.
The Cook Islands are a group of fifteen islands in the South Pacific Ocean famous for their crystal-clear water, stunning beaches, and lush rainforests. The islands are also home to a rich history and culture. Visitors can engage in various activities, such as snorkeling, swimming, diving, hiking, etc.
Some of the best things to do in the Cook Islands are:
- Enjoy the white-sand beaches and turquoise waters of the Aitutaki Lagoon.
- Enjoy diving or snorkeling in the Muri Lagoon and witness the rich marine life of coral reefs, colorful fish, and sea turtles.
- Enjoy a day with nature by visiting the Rarotonga Botanical Gardens.
- If you enjoy hiking, go to the top of Te Manga Mountain. Here, you will enjoy a spectacular view of Rarotonga and the other islands.
- Learn about the culture by visiting the cultural village.
Travelers going to Norway can expect to spend a range from $50 per day to more than $250 for accommodations, food, and activities.
Norway is well-known for its extraordinary scenery, including fjords, majestic mountains, and thundering waterfalls. The country also has a vibrant cultural scene and charming towns and villages.
When in Norway, you can engage in a wide variety of activities, including hiking, whale watching, skiing, and more. If you decide to visit Norway, do not forget to do the following things:
- Enjoy the stunning scenery of the country by taking a boat trip through the Geirangerfjord.
- Serenade your senses by hiking to the top of Trolltunga and enjoying the spectacular views.
- Head to Bergen and enjoy the lively cultural scene and the colorful waterfront.
- Be sure to visit the Viking Ship Museum in Oslo. In this museum, you will see Viking ships.
Travelers going to Mauritius can expect to spend from $50 to more than $150 per day for accommodations, meals, transportation, and activities.
Mauritius is an island nation in the Indian Ocean known for its luxurious resorts and white-sand beaches. The laidback culture will make you want to lay around and enjoy the warm ocean breezes, but take advantage of all the country has to offer. Mauritius is home to a range of natural attractions that’ll connect you to its natural beauty and culture.
- Visit waterfalls
- Take a hike in the rainforest
- Snorkel or dive around the island’s coral reef in Blue Bay Marine Park
- Spend a day at the Flic en Flac beach
- Hike to the top of Le Morne Brabant
Travelers going to Belize can expect to spend as much as $200 a day or more on accommodations, food, activities, and transportation.
Belize is known for its Mayan ruins, and this is a country in South America. The country is home to rich wildlife, including toucans, tapirs, and jaguars. Visitors can enjoy various activities, including wildlife safari, snorkeling, hiking, and more. Some things to do in Belize are:
- Enjoy diving or snorkeling in the Belize Barrier Reef
- Take a trip to the ancient Mayan ruins of Tikal and Xunantunich
- Visit the Chiquibul National Park and enjoy a wildlife safari
Travelers going to Slovenia should expect to spend around $100 per day on accommodations, food, activities, and transportation.
If you want stunning scenery, you cannot miss a trip to Slovenia. It is a small country in Central Europe with incredible attractions, delicious food, and a welcoming culture. Be sure to put these attractions on your list.
- Visit the Postojna Cave
- Hike the Julian Alps
- Spend a day at Triglav National Park.
- Stroll through the country’s charming towns and villages.
- Explore local art galleries and museums.
Related on Ethos: