Warm your belly and your soul with this Tabitha Brown vegan soup recipe made with chickpeas, kale, rice, and so much creamy deliciousness from cashews.
Oooooooh, it’s soup season! And this baby’s got a little bit of all the goodness you’d expect in a vegan soup: raw cashews soaked and pureed to create that creamy, smooth base, tender veggies, chickpeas for hearty protein, and rice, because that’s your business. Seasoned with McCormick® Salt Free Garlic and Herb Seasoning, this meal is a vibe the whole family’s gonna love.
Creamy Chickpea and Rice Soup
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 2 cups hot water
- 2 32-ounce Kitchen Basics Unsalted Vegetable Stock containers, divided
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 tbsp McCormick ground black pepper
- 1 15½-ounce can cooked chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup uncooked long-grain brown rice, rinsed
- 2 cups kale, chopped and packed
- 2 tbsp fresh parley, chopped
- Place cashews in large heat-safe bowl. Add hot water; soak 15 minutes. Drain and rinse well. Transfer to food processor or blender container. Add about 2 cups of the vegetable stock. Cover. Puree on high speed until completely smooth. Set aside.
- Heat oil in large saucepan on medium heat until shimmering. Add carrots, onion and celery; cook and stir 3 minutes or until softened. Stir in Seasoning and black pepper; cook and stir until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add remaining stock. Bring to boil.
- Stir in chickpeas and rice. Cover. Reduce heat to medium-low. Cook 30 to 35 minutes until tender, stirring frequently. Stir in kale and reserved cashew sauce; cook 5 minutes longer or until heated through. Garnish with chopped parsley and serve with lemon wedges, if desired.
Reprinted with permission. All rights reserved.