Use the Instant Pot to make this delicious, fiber-rich sweet potato breakfast easy as can be. Topped with a blueberry compote and dairy-free yogurt, it’s sure to be a go-to.
I love baked and loaded sweet potatoes to snack on for breakfast and sometimes even as a dessert. In this recipe, we cook the sweet potatoes in an Instant Pot along with blueberry compote. You can use other berries as well and layer up your sweet potato as you like with some of the berry compote, yogurt, or with whipped coconut cream plus granola or toasted nuts or seeds.
Breakfast Sweet Potatoes With Blueberry Compote
- 4 medium sweet potatoes
- 1 pint blueberries
- 1½ tbsp lime juice
- 2 tbsp sugar or sweetener of choice
- Pinch of salt
- ⅛ tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp chia seeds (optional)
- vegan yogurt or whipped coconut cream
- Vegan granola, seeds, and/or nuts of choice
- Pour 11/2 cups (355 ml) of water into the Instant Pot.
- Scrub the sweet potatoes and prick each a couple of times with a fork or knife. Lower a trivet into the Instant Pot and place the sweet potatoes on the trivet.
- For the blueberry compote, combine all the compote ingredients, except the chia seeds, in a stainless-steel or glass pot that fits into your Instant Pot and mix well. Place the pot on top of the sweet potatoes. Cover with foil.
- Lock the lid into place, set the Pressure Release Knob to Sealing, select the Pressure Cook/Manual setting at high pressure, and set the cook time to 14 to 22 minutes. The cooking time will vary depending on the size of your sweet potatoes: If they are 2 inches (5 cm) wide or smaller, cook for 14 minutes; if they are 2 1/2 to 3 inches (6.5 to 7.5 cm) wide, cook them for 16 to 18 minutes. If they are larger, cook them for up to 22 minutes.
- Once the cooking cycle is done, let the pressure release naturally. Open the lid and, using silicone mini mitts, carefully remove the pot with the blueberry compote. Use a spoon to mix and mash a few of the blueberries to thicken it up. The compote will continue to thicken as it cools. If, after cooling a bit, the compote is still too thin, stir in the 2 teaspoons of chia seeds and let sit for about 15 minutes to thicken up.
- Remove the sweet potatoes from the Instant Pot and let them cool a bit, then use a fork to slightly mash them in their skins and slice them.
- Top the sweet potatoes with the compote and your choice of toppings and serve.
Excerpted from Vegan Richa’s Instant Pot™ Cookbook: 150 Plant-based Recipes from Indian Cuisine and Beyond by Richa Hingle. Copyright © 2022. Available from Hachette Go, an imprint of Hachette Book Group, Inc.